Due to the relationship classes and geometric networks in our CrescentLink geodatabase (gdb), exporting the GDB to an XML workspace is the preferred option for saving a backup or moving a file gdb to a server as an SDE. This process is important for maintaining connectivity in the network when using our CrescentLink tools.
This is done in esri's ArcCatalog by right-clicking on the topmost level in the gdb file structure, selecting Export, then XML Workspace Document.
If you're working in a versioned SDE please be aware that only data in the default version exports unless the geodatabase version is changed.
- In ArcCatalog, right-click on the SDE > select Geodatabase Connection Properties > select the version that needs to be exported.
If you have any outstanding edits in a version that has not been reconciled to Default then those edits will not be preserved in your Default backup. This is also true if your server is backed up regularly using server management procedures outside of ArcGIS.
To ensure all the data in an SDE is saved in a backup XML workspace:
- Roll up all versions into the default. This includes reconciling and posting child versions to QAQC, and then to Default depending on how the versioned environment is set up.
Please see our article on managing a versioned geodatabase.
- Compress the SDE to ensure that all of the versioned delta tables have been cleared. This removes unnecessary data that can cause bloat in a database.
- Unregister the geodatabase as versioned. It's not necessary to delete the versions if the database will be versioned again after the export.
- Export the geodatabase as an XML workspace following the steps in the image above to save a backup of the geodatabase in its current state.
Note: the SDE geodatabase and XML workspace are not linked. Any future updates to the geodatabase will not change or update anything in the XML even once it's been imported into a new empty geodatabase.